Px38-805 is now PKP's only operational 600mm gauge steam locomotive.
It was built by Pierwsza Polska Fabryka Lokomotyw w Chrzanowie (First Polish Locomotive Factory in Chrzanow) - often abbreviated to 'Fablok' or simply 'Chrzanow' - in 1938, works number 727. It became Wrzesinska Kolej Powiatowa (Wrzesnia District Railway) No. 5.
The first section of the WKP opened in 1898, and by the time it was taken over by PKP on 1.1.49 it had 55km of lines. The railway connected with the Gneizno District Railway (formerly the Witkowo District Railway), and the combined system was converted to 750mm gauge in the 1950s, when it became linked to the Kujawy Feeder Railway, running as far east as Krosniewice, Ozorkow, Ostrowy and places further north.
Px38-805 moved to Myszyniec (a site we know nothing about) in 1957, to Bialosliwie in 1973 and to Znin in 1976. It has since made various visits to Bialosliwie for special events.
The above information was translated by Dave Meller from Bogdan Pokropinski's book 'Kujawskie Koleje Dojazdowe', published by Poznanski Klub Modelarzy Kolejowych (Poznan Model Railway Club) in 1994.
|Back to Znin Railway||
© Andrew Goodwin1996-2003